Friday, March 23, 2007

A Little Poetry for You: Creeley

It's Poetry Friday!

Elaine's got the round-up over at Blue Rose Girls.

And if you haven't seen it yet, don't miss the contest I'm running. It's an easy one!

Okay, on to the poem....

There are a few poems that have stuck with me over the years even though I've never been able to wrap my mind around them completely. This is one. I don't quite grasp it, but I cannot forget it.

The Door
By Robert Creeley

It is hard going to the door
cut so small in the wall where
the vision which echoes loneliness
brings a scent of wild flowers in a wood.

What I understood, I understand.
My mind is sometime torment,
sometimes good and filled with livelihood,
and feels the ground.

But I see the door,
and knew the wall, and wanted the wood,
and would get there if I could
with my feet and hands and mind.

Lady, do not banish me
for digressions. My nature
is a quagmire of unresolved
confessions. Lady, I follow.

Click here for the rest of the poem. I particularly like the last few verses.

And of course, because I cannot resist the mixed-media angle, here's a link to all sorts of good audio from Creeley.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I swear, you always have the most interesting Poetry Friday selections. Thanks for this one! Now I'm going to have to go look up a book of Creeley poetry...