Friday, August 24, 2007

A Little Poetry for You: Dugan

Happy Poetry Friday!

The round-up is done pretty creatively over at The Book Mine Set.

I've posted a Dugan poem in the past (Love Song: I and Thou) but this one is new to me.


On Looking for Models
by Alan Dugan

The trees in time
have something else to do
besides their treeing. What is it.
I'm a starving to death
man myself, and thirsty, thirsty
by their fountains but I cannot drink
their mud and sunlight to be whole.

Go here to read and listen to the rest of the poem.

Go here for a short bio of Alan Dugan.

4 comments:

Sara said...

"The trees have something else to do beside their treeing" Ah yes, I've never thought of it that way, but I will the next time I'm in the woods. Do you think this is why we imbue trees in stories with human-like inner spirits?

tanita✿davis said...

Whilst they are 'treeing' they must also whisper. This was a really interesting one! Thanks!

John Mutford said...

I enjoy the frustration in the poem.

Nancy said...

Yes, I thought this was intriguing too. Thanks for your comments!