Friday, February 09, 2007

A Little Poetry for You: Dugan

It's Poetry Friday and, oh, Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Let the love-fest begin.

(Elaine's got the round-up over at Blue Rose Girls.)

Here's an interesting love poem. I've always liked it, but I've never been able to figure out why. It's a bit profane, but strikes me as quite honest, and the voice in this poem is very true.

Love Song: I and Thou

By Alan Dugan

Nothing is plumb, level or square:
the studs are bowed, the joists
are shaky by nature, no piece fits
any other piece without a gap
or pinch, and bent nails
dance all over the surfacing
like maggots. By Christ
I am no carpenter.


A little later, my favorite lines:

God damned it. This is hell,
but I planned it I sawed it
I nailed it and I
will live in it until it kills me.

Go here to read the rest, which is quite fun and has a nice denouement.

11 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Nancy,

You've been rounded up. The Poetry Friday Roundup will be at Blue Rose Girls this week.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, this is an amazing poem. I love it!

Nancy said...

Me too! But it definitely reads better as a whole than just the pieces I pulled out.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Ha somehow I can relate to that. Why does it make me think of my life?

Mary Lee said...

Wow.
I can't think of anything else to say.
Wow.

And also, Thanks! Great poem!

Nancy said...

Oh, so glad you liked it Mary Lee!

Beverly said...

I have loved this poem since the first time I read it in high school. It truly gives me chills with its rage, its determination, its horror and even its menace.

You were second on my google search when looking for this poem!! :)

Mark 42 said...

couple of allusions to Christ (e.g. he was also a carpenter, was damned)
Also could be describing the flawed walk of a Christian (we can never be perfect), and of course, life in general.
Could have been about a car repair or other topics instead of a building project and also been very effective, but the carpenter works well.

Javed Sunesra said...

This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want...HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Rummy Online said...

Hi , i got this Article , i was searching some thing relevant to this, And i am feeling lucky, as its the perfect one for what i am looking for. I will share this link on face book.

Danny Danials said...

I have been using this app Into the Dead 2 Mod Apk (Unlimited Money) : and downloaded and playing it regularly.