Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Quote of the Day, 7/18/06

I was a children's lit major in college and grad school, and have shelves of kids books that I still re-re-re-read frequently. The following is from one of my favorites, a book called Daddy-Long-Legs (which was made into a kind-of-fun Fred Astaire movie that was not too faithful to the book). Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster (niece of Mark Twain), is written as a set of letters from Judy, and orphan girl who is struggling to get through college and to become a published author.
The feeling often comes over me that I am not at all remarkable; it is fun to plan a career, but in all probability, I shan't turn out a bit different from any other ordinary person. I may end by marrying an undertaker and being an inspiration to him in his work.
I think this quote captured me with the phrase "being an inspiration to him in his work." Not that undertakers don't need their sources of inspiration, of course.

No comments: