Friday, January 05, 2007

A Little Poetry for You: Jarrell

Poetry Friday is upon us again. Elaine's got the round-up over at Blue Rose Girls. Here's a poem I was introduced to in a summer poetry class during high school. I absolutely love how it starts ... it takes a moment to realize the speaker is not just talking about emotions.
Next Day
by Randall Jarrell

Moving from Cheer to Joy, from Joy to All,
I take a box
And add it to my wild rice, my Cornish game hens.
The slacked or shorted, basketed, identical
Food-gathering flocks
Are selves I overlook. Wisdom, said William James,

Is learning what to overlook. And I am wise
If that is wisdom.
Yet somehow, as I buy All from these shelves
And the boy takes it to my station wagon,
What I've become
Troubles me even if I shut my eyes.

When I was young and miserable and pretty
And poor, I'd wish
What all girls wish: to have a husband,
A house and children. Now that I'm old, my wish
Is womanish:
That the boy putting groceries in my car

See me. It bewilders me he doesn't see me.

Read the rest of this poem by clicking here (especially if you want to know what the title means).

1 comment:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Nancy,

You've been ronded up in the Poetry Friday corral at Blue Rose Girls.