Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Children's Classics I Didn't Love

Fuse #8 poses interesting questions about our feelings on the classics:

What are the "classic" titles you've never much taken to? ...Were there books you knew of as a kid that just didn't do anything for you...?


My answers follow.

1. The Little Prince. Leila and Kelly both mentioned this one as well, so I am in good company. I never really understood all the fuss.

2. The Berenstein Bears. My next-door neighbor was ga-ga over the BBears. I never read a single book all the way through.

3. The Bobbsey Twins. I was addicted to Nancy Drew, the Dana Girls, Cherry Ames, and Trixie Belden. I had no use for The Bobbsey Twins. Or The Hardy Boys for that matter.

4. The Narnia books. I dimly remember reading the first book, but never bothered reading further until recently. I love them now, especially the one I'm currently listening to on CD (because it happens to be read by Jeremy Northam, and frankly, he could read a cereal box and I'd love it).

5. Judy Blume books. Please don't hate me, but I didn't love Judy Blume. Even though I grew up at exactly the right time for these books. I read two or three of them, and I liked them well enough. But I was never addicted the way my friends were.

What's your list?

9 comments:

Erin said...

I loved the Bobbsey twins books when I was little. Totally addicted! :)

Kimmy said...

Sorry, but big Bobbsey Twins fan here too!

Nancy said...

See? I am a freak.

Anonymous said...

What's with "The Little Prince" anyway?!?

Nancy said...

Yeah, I'm definitely the wrong person to ask about that. Blech!

runart said...

Sorry, I'm with Nancy on this one. Could not stand the Bobbsey Twins when I was little - loved Trixie Belden and of course, Nancy Drew!! I do not begin to get The Little Prince. Two of my favorites and I guess I classify as " comfort" in my child's mind's eye (although it is out of print and I haven't even seen it since I was in 3rd grade or so) was a book called "The Pink Maple House" by Christine Govan. My other favorite was the original Wizard of Oz - the first "fat" book I read, again in 3rd grade.

featherbee said...

I never got into any of those mystery books, Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, etc. Not sure why, as I do like a good mystery now that I'm older.

I also never "got" A Wrinkle in Time. I have a feeling I tried to read it when I was too young for it, was turned off, and never went back.

Little Willow said...

I posted my answers @ Fuse and @ Kelly's blog. I like some Judy books. The first three Hatcher books are delightful and thus I was sad at the poor state of the fourth. I liked Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great. I remember thinking AYTG?IMM should have had another title because it had more to do with body etc etc than God. I like Just As Long as We're Together and Here's to You, Rachel Robinson, but other than that, I cared little for her teen books, actually.

(Side note: I now recommend Confessions of a Closet Catholic to young readers who are asking about religion. Have you read that book yet? It's so adorable. I wish it had been published when I was a kid!)

Nancy said...

LW, no I haven't read Confessions of a Closet Catholic. It's got a great title!