Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Quote of the Day, 8/16/06

A few thoughts about antagonists in general (see post below about antagonists in Children's Literature):

Edmund Burke
He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.

Ernest Bramah (from Kai Lung's Golden Hours)
It has been said... there are few situations in life that cannot be resolved promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned, by either suicide, a bag of gold, or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (from "The Final Problem")
You know my powers, my dear Watson, and yet at the end of three months I was forced to confess that I had at last met an antagonist who was my intellectual equal. My horror at his crimes was lost in my admiration at his skill.

No comments: