Sunday, September 17, 2006

Quote of the Day, 9/17/06

People born on this day: William Carlos Williams (physician and poet) and Hank Williams (song writer and singer... no relation). To mark the day, I'm looking at quotes from both, side by side.
Hank Williams

A song ain't nothin' in the world but a story just wrote with music to it.
...
A good song is a good song, and if I'm lucky enough to write it, well....! I get more kick out of writing than I do singing. I reckon I've written a thousand songs and had over 300 published.

-- From "Cold, Cold Heart"

There was a time when I believed that you belonged to me
But now I know your heart is shackled to a memory
The more I learn to care for you the more we drift apart
Why can’t I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold, cold heart


William Carlos Williams


Poets are damned but they are not blind, they see with the eyes of the angels.
...
When they ask me, as of late they frequently do, how I have for so many years continued an equal interest in medicine and the poem, I reply that they amount for me to nearly the same thing.

-- "Pastoral"

THE little sparrows
hop ingenuously
about the pavement
quarreling
with sharp voices
over those things
that interest
them.
But we who are wiser
shut ourselves in
on either hand
and
no one knows
whether we think good
or evil.

...................Meanwhile,
the old man who goes about
gathering dog-lime
walks in the gutter
without looking up
and his tread
is more majestic than
that of
the Episcopal minister
approaching the pulpit
of a Sunday.
.......These things
astonish me beyond
words.


No comments: