Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Words on Wednesday: Beautiful and Ugly Words

For this week's Words on Wednesday installment, I'm looking back at this quirky-but-fun site I stumbled on a few weeks ago, and the beautiful (and not-so-beautiful) words page.

Here are a few of the most beautiful words:
asphodel
fawn
dawn
chalice
anemone
tranquil
hush

Here are a few of the ugliest words:

fructify
kumquat
quahog
crepuscular
kakkak
gargoyle
cacophonous


Looking around the web, I came across these further suggestions:

Beautiful words
imbroglio
gossamer
ephemeral
susurrous

Ugly words
texts
angst
gobbledygook
carbuncle

Here are my votes for other beautiful words
lily
synesthesia
illusive
hallowed

Here are my votes for other ugly words
turkey
edited
hacker
hiccough or hiccup

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one for the ugly words list: Behoove. And one for the beautiful words list: Thistle

Keira said...

I have some additions:

Beautiful Words:
Scintillating
Ethereal
Teapot


Ugly Words:
Beautify/Beautification
Goblin
Pontificate