Monday, September 11, 2006

Things that are Good to Hold on to

I've been at a loss for ideas on how to mark the day today. I have complete writer's block when it comes to the many things one might write about concerning 9/11. A few weeks back I read a quote that said (essentially) the best writing comes from the head instead of the heart.... maybe that's why I'm stuck.

Finally, around 7PM it struck me that today is a day custom-made for wallowing, and yet wallowing seems the exact wrong thing to do. The trick, I decided, was to do something that would renew my commitment to the people in this world whom I love.

Call my mother? Okay, good, but I do that pretty regularly.

Better I think to reach out to someone I've lost touch with, to remind her that I still think of her, and that I still consider her a good friend, even though I've not picked up the phone to call her in a couple of years.

Thank goodness for the internet. Michelle is listed, and now I have her updated address and phone number. And we've had a good long chat. And we've made plans to see each other in a few weeks.

I met Michelle in junior high, on the bleachers in the gymnasium. That would make it... about 25 years ago, maybe 26. It's good to hold on to things like that I think.

Now I'll call my mother.

No comments: