Friday, December 29, 2006

A Little Poetry for You: Service

For Poetry Friday, here's a poem to ring in the new year.
The Passing of the Year
Robert W. Service

My glass is filled, my pipe is lit,
My den is all a cosy glow;
And snug before the fire I sit,
And wait to feel the old year go.
I dedicate to solemn thought
Amid my too-unthinking days,
This sober moment, sadly fraught
With much of blame, with little praise.

Old Year! upon the Stage of Time
You stand to bow your last adieu;
A moment, and the prompter's chime
Will ring the curtain down on you.
Your mien is sad, your step is slow;
You falter as a Sage in pain;
Yet turn, Old Year, before you go,
And face your audience again.

Go here for the rest of the poem.

And Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Stidmama said...

This was lovely to read tonight! Hope your weekend will be full of fun.

Anonymous said...

Happy new year!

Greg Pincus said...

And a happy new year to you, too, Nancy!