Sunday, December 03, 2006

Quote of the Day, 12/03/06: Lincoln

This week I'm going to shake things up in my quote of the day posts. Each day, I'll give a few quotes from the same person. This will give you a chance to consider the person as much as the words. Hardly a revolution, but something different anyhow.
I'm starting with Abraham Lincoln.

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have.
...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
...

When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.
...

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
...

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
...

Upon the subject of education, not presuming to dictate any plan or system respecting it, I can only say that I view it as the most important subject which we as a people may be engaged in. That everyone may receive at least a moderate education appears to be an objective of vital importance.


No comments: