Thursday, December 07, 2006

Quote of the Day, 12/07/06: Monroe

From Jackie yesterday, down the hall to Marilyn. Marilyn Monroe, that is.

My work is the only ground I've ever had to stand on. I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation -- but I'm working on the foundation.
...

Some people have been unkind. If I say I want to grow as an actress, they look at my figure. If I say I want to develop, to learn my craft, they laugh. Somehow they don't expect me to be serious about my work.
...

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.
...

If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything.
...

I want to grow old without facelifts... I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I've made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you'd never complete your life, would you?

4 comments:

Little Willow said...

She was so much smarter than the average person thought she was, and so aware.

Nancy said...

Yes, I was even surprised by a couple of these quotes.

Little Willow said...

My favorites:

"Those people have been writing all those lies about me, all I know, it's their problem. Those people, I don't even know them or if we met it's been brief. Can I take it? Most of course! I'm used to it and remember the old saying: 'consider the source.'"

"It's far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone - so far."

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."

"My great ambition is to have people comment on my fine dramatic performances."

"I don't understand why people aren't a little more generous with each other."

"I'm not interested in money. I just want to be wonderful."

"I've never dropped anyone I believed in."

"I used to think as I looked at the Hollywood night, 'There must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me, dreaming of becoming a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest.'"

Thanks, Wikiquote.

Nancy said...

Nice additions!

Another interesting thing is that it was so much easier to find good quotes from Marilyn Monroe than from Katherine Hepburn. I would have thought the opposite.