Thursday, December 21, 2006

Quote of the Day, 12/21/06: More Christmas Books

From my stack of Christmas books...

The Polar Express
I knew that I could have any gift I could imagine. But the thing I wanted most for Christmas was not inside Santa's giant bag. What I wanted more than anything was one silver bell from Santa's sleigh. When I asked, Santa smiled. Then he gave me a hug and told an elf to cut a bell from a reindeer's harness. The elf tossed it up to Santa. He stood, holding the bell high above him, and called out, "The first gift of Christmas!"


The Night Before Christmas
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugarplums danced in their heads;
And Mamma in her kerchief and I in my cap
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap.


Eloise at Christmastime
It's Christmas Eve
with a blizzard outside
And four below zero
or more
But inside the Plaza
we're cozy and warm
in our rooms
on the tippy top floor


The Gift of the Magi
The magi, as you know, were wise men -- wonderfully wise men who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi.

No comments: