Sunday, December 10, 2006

Quote of the Day, 12/10/06: Updike

I think I'll do another week of person-centered quotes. I thought it was pretty interesting to cull through the available quotes and pick out a few diverse ones for each person. Today's person is John Updike.
Four years was enough of Harvard. I still had a lot to learn, but had been given the liberating notion that now I could teach myself.
...

The refusal to rest content, the willingness to risk excess on behalf of one's obsessions, is what distinguishes artists from entertainers, and what makes some artists adventurers on behalf of us all.
...

Writing and rewriting are a constant search for what it is one is saying.
...

The Founding Fathers in their wisdom decided that children were an unnatural strain on parents. So they provided jails called schools, equipped with tortures called an education.
...

The artist brings something into the world that didn't exist before and he does it without destroying something else.

No comments: