This meme requires me to tell you all 5 little-known things about myself.
1. When I was about 7, I got my inspiration for one of my earliest poems from an image of a bearded man in the knotty pine of our basement. I started to think of a sing-songy line that went something like, "In my wall I see a face." But I thought that wouldn't sell to the adult crowd, so I opted for a religious theme instead, changing it to "In my Bible I see a face." What it lacked in iambs it more than made up for in saccharin.
2. Although I concentrated in children's literature in college and grad school, and was joyful upon entering college to learn I'd never have to take another math course, I am still fascinated in and quite good with numbers. There is something satisfying about staring into a mass of data, following its paths, and finding out what the data is saying. Oh, and I was a Mathlete in high school.
3. I am afraid of Eydie Gorme and have been since I was about 10 years old. Back then I had a series of recurring nightmares where I had somehow caused Steve Lawrence to be paralized or in a coma, and Eydie was pissed. It wasn't till Steve did a guest bit on The Nanny a few years ago that I got past my abhorrence of him. I still can't stand the site of Eydie though.
4. I was diagnosed with exotropia (wandering eye) in my left eye when I was about 8. They sent me to the Lion's Orthoptic Clinic where a wonderful woman named Mrs. Greer helped me through 4 years of eye exercises with prisms and machines and instruments. At the end of it all I had exotropia in both eyes, but the ability to control it. 7 years ago I had laser surgery to correct for very bad nearsightedness (then 20-650 R and 20-1000 L), and my eyes (now 20-20 R and L) hardly wander at all now.
By the way, 20-1000 means that what a normal person sees from 1000 feet away, I had to be 20 feet away to see.
5. I have been robbed at least 6 times:
- Purse stolen from office (lost key to kryptonite bike lock and had to use a metal torch to break it open; lost paycheck but got it replaced, unfortunately too late to pay the rent on time)
- Charge card number stolen and used by woman on other side of country (she worked for Sears, stole my Sears card number, and bought appliances)
- Car trunk broken into and various items stolen (nothing too heartbreaking here, this was basically a grab and dash)
- Car window broken and various items stolen (this was more a pain than anything else -- they didn't have time to get the stereo, but they grabbed a few little things and cost me a whole morning getting the window replaced)
- ATM card and pin stolen and used (they got $300 a day for 3 days before I noticed)
- Mugged at paper-bag (gun?)-point in West Hollywood ($80 just taken out of ATM 10 minutes earlier, plus my Halloween costume, which I had shoved in the bag on the way to a party)
I'm tagging: Tim, Erin, Kelly