Monday, October 30, 2006

Quote of the Day, 10/30/06: Coraline

I'd heard so much about Coraline and I hadn't read it yet. So in honor of Halloween I thought I'd snuggle up with this delightfully scary children's book. Today's quote -- just the one -- is from Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

She had never been so scared, but still she walked forward until she reached the sac. Then she pushed her hand into the sticky, clinging whiteness of the stuff on the wall. It crackled softly, like a tiny fire, as she pushed, and it clung to her skin and clothes like a spiderweb clings, like white cotton candy. She pushed her hand into it, and she reached upward until she touched a cold hand.... The creature's skin felt slippery, as if it had been covered in jelly.
Do you have favorite scary scenes from children's books?

2 comments:

Erin said...

I haven't read Coraline, but just that quote (kind of) makes me want to read it! Great descriptions.

Little Willow said...

Coraline is fantastic! Go read it, go read it!

My favorite spooky kidlit authors from my childhood -
John Bellairs
Mary Downing Hahn
Betty Ren Wright
and more

- and more recent releases:
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
May Bird and the Ever After by Jodi Lynn Anderson
May Bird Among the Stars by Jodi Lynn Anderson