Saturday, October 14, 2006

Halloween has Come to My Street!

Okay, I have to say that I live on the best street of the coolest neighborhood ever.

First, the people are really nice. They look out for each other, chat on the street every day, and were so quick to welcome me when I moved in right at the end of last year.

Second, there are a lot of kids who live on or walk on this street all the time, and because the houses are right on the street (no front yards), it makes it like a big playground some days.

But really this has got to be the best street ever for holidays. This Halloween I'm told to expect over 300 kids trick-or-treating. Folks here just sit out on their porches with the candy, because there's no point in even shutting the door -- the stream of kids is that constant. I'll be so sad if it rains, because I have 1,100 pieces of candy already, and I'm counting on those 300 kids to show up!

Here are some photos of the neighborhood, to give you a sense of how we gear up around here for a holiday.

My next door neighbor's porch. Note that the funky guy (who was featured at the top of this post) starts to dance and sing when you walk by. He's been singing Slow Ride and Super Freak for the past 6 days. I am highly amused by him, and tempted to walk by a lot just to make him sing (which the kids are doing, even as I write this).



























The best decorations on the street, about 8 houses down from me. These guys have done it up right. They even have a strobe scary figure in the attic window, which I didn't see till I went back this evening for my nighttime shots.


























Other houses in the neighborhood. Notice that the last house is painted orange and black. They must really love Halloween. Which I'm sure makes the people in the other half of the house so happy.



























And here's mine. (Yes, the branches poking into the top corner of each picture are from the much-maligned pear trees.) It doesn't measure up to the others, but it's my first year and the pictures don't do it justice. I'm thinking of adding a fog machine on Halloween night. Any other ideas gladly accepted.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pics. What a great street to live on.

Erin said...

Those are great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Nancy said...

Hiya runart! No, the flooding in Lambertville only went a couple of blocks into town. I'm about 6 to 8 blocks from where the nearest flooding was. I didn't realize how much sloping there was in town until the flood though. Then I saw that the flooding would have to be horrendous to get near me. Knock wood.

The Halloween stuff has been even more fun today, because one neighbor put out more decorations, including a dancing pumpkin-head ghost that says "Happy Halloweeeeeeeeen." The kids keep going by and making it talk and dance, and then repeating "Happy Halloweeeeeeeeen" back. It's pretty cute.

Anonymous said...

Please take a picture of it to show us