Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Words on Wednesday: Word Things About Me

(Shameless advertising: Don't forget the Best Passages of Children's Literature Contest now through November 5!)

The always wonderful and often funny (or is it often wonderful and always funny?) Mother Reader tagged me for the 5 things about me meme. Even though I've already done it, I thought I'd tie in my Words on Wednesday post with this meme, and honor the tag.

So, 5 Word-things About Me....

1. I have a curious ability to make myself very very believable when I lie. This, combined with a love of words, makes me a formidable Balderdash player.

2. I am a big fan of Scrabble, and am outraged that the latest Scrabble dictionary includes ZA and QI as valid words. Hmmmmmph!

3. I don't believe poetry must rhyme, but I am delighted when I find poems that use the sound of the language (alliteration, end-rhyme, internal rhyme, onomatopoeia, etc.) to draw me in. This is probably why I'm also a fan of old show-tunes, especially Cole Porter, who was a bit of a genius when it came to rhyme (Napolean Brandy and Mahatma Ghandi, wow).
You're the purple light
Of a summer night in Spain.
You're the National Gallery.
You're Garbo's salary.
You're cellophane.

4. I have a very strong visual memory, especially with text. So in school, if I needed to remember a certain piece of information, I would call up my memory of where that info was located on which page of which book, and that would give me the answer.

5. By the time I was 7, I learned to read upside down. I practiced on the newspaper while my dad read it right-side-up. This ability has come in very handy at work, where I can use it to read a document that is in front of someone else.

1 comment:

Little Willow said...

I love Cole Porter.
I love Anything Goes. (Bonnie, to date, one of my favorite roles that I've ever played.)
I love reading upside down.
:)